In 2016, Keelara Organic Club Farmers had approached us and asked us about the market for their produce.
We had done a survey in their village earlier and presented the study to these farmers.
1. Keelara village has about 4000 families from 1800 households
2. Each family is spending about 1000 rupees per month towards purchase of Vegetables, Greens & Fruits from city market
3. This buying amounts to 12,000 rupees per annum per family. When we calculate this amount for 4000 families it amounts to 4.8 crore per annum
4. Bringing Chemically-laced veggies from outside has health impact and each family in Keelara is spending about 20,000 rupees per annum on health related issues
5. When we calculate health related spending it amounts to 8 Crore rupees per annum. Which means 12.8 crore rupees is flowing out of one village in Mandya into the cities
6. If 25% of the village practices kitchen garden the entire village can be fed and that way the money stays in the village!
Keeping this in mind, we built a Poison Free Vegetable shop for the Organic Farmers Club in Keelara. Whatever these farmers grow they consume and rest is sold in this Poison Free Vegetable Stall. This way each organic farmer family saves about 32,000 rupees per annum, and saving is earning too! This model should be spread and replicated across the country, this way we all can help farmers to double their income by not spending on unnecessary things.
Jai Mandya, Jai India!!!