‘Unde’ in Kannada means a ball or a ladoo. These steamed lentil dumplings with added vegetables can be your ‘go-to’ breakfast, a single pot lunch, or an evening snack...especially if you are a diabetic or a health conscious person looking to cut down those Carbs. While traditionally the recipe is made using dill leaves or no vegetables in particular, this version brings you the goodness of Fiber + Lentils which are a high source of Protein and can keep you going for a good 5 hours and make for an ideal "No Mess, Carry On Lunch"!
Carrot Nucchina Unde Recipe / Steamed Lentil Dumplings
Preparation Time - 3 hours
Cooking Time - 20-25 Minutes
INGREDIENTS FOR NUCCHINA UNDE
½ cup Tur dal
½ cup Chana dal
½ cup fresh grated coconut ( or desiccated coconut)
1 medium sized grated carrot
2 green chillies
Few curry leaves chopped
¾ teaspoon salt
STEPS / METHOD TO MAKE NUCCHINA UNDE
- In a clean bowl, soak the tur and chana dal for about 2 ½ hours.
- Grate a medium sized carrot using a salad grater. Set aside.
- Once the dals are soaked, drain off the excess water. Using a food processor or a blender, blend the soaked dals into a coarse mixture without adding any water.
- In another bowl, add finely chopped the green chillies, the grated carrot, blended dals mixture, grated coconut and salt. Mix the ingredients well.
- Due to the water present in the vegetable, the mixture may get a little watery upon adding in salt. Grease your hand with some oil and squeeze out the water from the mixture and make unde or a cylindrical shaped dumplings.
- Arrange the unde in a steamer leaving enough space between the unde or dumplings.
- Steam the unde or dumplings for about 20 minutes till they are cooked completely.
- Serve the nucchina unde with majjige huli / kadi or tomato chutney and savour your protein rich meal.